F

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Rock Music in Iran


TehranAvenue:About a year ago an album started circulating from hand to hand in Tehran by a band named KIOSK, which, at the first glance, because of its eerie resemblance to the music of DIRE STRAITS, sounded ridiculous. However, if you listened to it more carefully, you realized that it was actually an interesting effort, a little like an “idiot-savant”. What’s, I think, admirable in Kiosk is how uniquely down-to-earth and accessible its lyrics are. Again, as far as I know, we don’t have very many works that attempt to do this except for the album Eskenas, by {Shahkar Binesh-pazhuh}. For example, in "Ordinary Man," which is also the album’s namesake, we hear:

I haven’t seen that movie / No, I haven’t read that poem
I’ve never met that guy / And I’ve never been abroad
I know exactly who I am / I’m just an ordinary man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home